A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution is being brought against Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (EPUFT) following an investigation into North Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (NEPUFT).
HSE has investigated how NEPUFT managed environmental risks from fixed potential ligature points in its inpatient wards between 25 October 2004 and 31 March 2015.
Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust of The Lodge, Lodge Approach, Runwell Wickford, Essex will face a charge under Section 3(1) Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The first hearing is due to take place on 12 November 2020 at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court.
Notes to Editors
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk
- Until the 1 April 2015, decisions whether or not to investigate patient safety matters in England were made in line with our HSWA Section 3 policy: http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/hswact/priorities.htm. After this date, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) became the lead inspection and enforcement body under the Health and Social Care Act 2008 for safety and quality of treatment and care matters involving patients and service users in receipt of a health or adult social care service from a provider registered with CQC.
- HSE has not investigated individual patient deaths as this does not fall within our remit.
- The investigation timescales predate the existence of Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust which came into existence when North Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (NEPUFT) merged with another trust.